Wednesday, November 18, 2009

and then it was straight!

two saturdays ago I had a very cool oppurtunity.
I had just finshed a scalp treatment on a client when I sat down to wrap a perm on my doll head.
I was pooped from staying up late on a friday night and i just wanted to be lazy...(everyone does that right?) in otherwords i was being sort of negative about working in the salon that day.
As I passed the front waiting area of the salon I saw two little african american girls with hair so curly it looked like ribbon when you run the scissors on it to make it spiral.
Seriously it was the curliest dang thing id ever seen. Even combing it out looked like it would take hours.
I thought in my mind- dang whoever has to do there hair is going to have quite the experience.
And thats just what I got.
Yup, two seconds later, little miss Jazzy took a seat on my booster chair, ready for me to comb out her dreaded curls.
Jazzy is a six year old, who is not only gorgeous, but she was absolutely plesent! She comes from a foster home and had never had anyone take care of her hair before.
Because her hair is SO curly, it gets dreaded and mangled, making it impossible to comb through and manage.
Her foster mom thought that Jazzy and her older sister needed some care and treatment to make their hair straight, making it much easier to do and style.
So jazzy sat in my seat with her 3 foot eyelashes, missing front tooth and i began to unpick her hair with the help of my lovely friend SOPHIE!
it took us about 4 hours to completely finish the process of combing on 1/4 inch sections and applying the chemical straightner to her hair and lettting it process and all that fun stuff.
However, I had the BEST time working with Jazzy. She was so cute and her foster mom was amazing as well. She brought in her real daughter whose dream is to go to hair school one day too. She was 13 and she was going crazy over the salon.
It turned out to be a great experience and the best part was seeing Jazzy with her hair looking so pretty and happy even after the long process. she was such a trooper!
I am grateful for the little tender mercies God puts into our daily routines to make us aware of how amazing and wonderful life truly is. Everyone has so much to give and so many people to meet and influence. Jazzy was an amazing example to me and meeting her sweet soul was a blessing in disguise.

I WISH i would have taken a picture of Jazzy before we started but i had no idea what a transformation it was going to be! she came in with two pig tails in the front and the back was an intire matted mess that was impossible to even stick a comb thru!



here is cute little Jazzzy waiting for her hair to process


me and jazmine


her and her sister! all fiinshed! they look great :]




soooo adorable!!

5 comments:

sophie weichers said...

i absolutely loved jazzzyyy. seriously obsessed with her.

ohhh and i loved the way you capitalized my name- now its like BAM. sophie. hits ya right it the eye. SOPHIE. hahaha.

i love you larrrieee parriee and im so glad i live with you. couldn't ask for a better friend.

. said...

she is the most beautiful little girl i've ever seen! look at those eyes.. wow! but anyway, don't you just love those little reminders? what precious little girls and how sad that they have to live from house to house. i'm happy to hear that their foster mom was so great! love you laur - keep up the good work :)

p.s. i better see you this weekend!!

Ashley C. said...

she is so darling! way to laur and sophie. you guys did great. jazzy looks darling!!

it is nice to have little reminders like that. Sure love you!! You are amazing!!

Nickposh said...

That is the sweetest story- thanks for sharing! It's amazing what love does for all of us. I am listening to the great Christmas cd you made me while I clean. Love and miss you tons!!

Mushie said...

I love that story!
Life does have away of keeping us grounded and focusing on other people. Way to go you and Sophie did an amazing job!