Thursday, March 25, 2010

once upon a TIME...







I've been thinking a lot lately about time. Time in general. How fast it goes the older you get, how you can't ever get it back, and how we waste it so carelessly.
Time really is such a strange thing. The other day when I was in my car I glanced at my clock and casually thought to myself, oh I'm okay my clock is 6 minutes fast- I'll be on time. So i set my clock faster to not be late but since I know how fast it is set, I subtract those minutes and realize I have a few spare extra minutes. So if I know thy why do I set my clock faster? Maybe that doesn't even make sense but I was really deep in thought about it- leading myself to think about time for the rest of the day.

Why is it that when your little, a couple hours seems like a couple days? Your mom calls and says you have to come home in 2 hours so you and your friend grab the barbies and imaginations run wild and it feels like the world is on pause. Then I think about today, I'm hanging out and have two hours I'll I should be home. 3 minutes later it's time and who knew where the time went. And yes I know that time flies when your having fun, But my barbie days were fun days as well. So really it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I decided that as I've gotten older- people always say that time goes by so fast, the days are shorter, everything is happening quicker. But is it really? Or are we just all THINKING and SAYING that so we have got ourselves to believe that? Maybe we just have heard eachother say it so much that we start to live our lives in a way where time is faster. Maybe we are always looking to what is going to happen tomorrow...or in an hour even. I know I do It- I don't enjoy the here and now as much as I should. So why should I expect time to seem long when I can only focus on what is GOING to come? A speaker at church on Sunday said something that really inspiried me. He said that we can't feel the spirit when we aren't in th here and now, because the spirit speaks to us so quietly at times that if we aren't in the now moment, we will miss it.

Maybe if we all stopped saying that time was going by too fast it would slow down? Who knows...I guess I'll just Have to start living in the here and now and see if my days, weeks and months get longer....

4 comments:

john said...

you are one of the most likable people in the entire world.
enjoy your time in the present. Maybe I will see you there sometime.

sophie weichers said...

i heart you. i love our time spent together practically 24/7. i would want my time spent any other way.

loooveee you.

Courtney said...

time....we all have the same amount of it, but we all do such different things with it. Your thoughts are inspiring and provoking! What will i do with my time today?

Adrianne said...

I don't have anything profound to say.

But I wanted you to know I was here and read your cute post and that I love you!

LOVES!!