Monday, January 24, 2011

p.o.w

i like old jewlery. i like rummaging through my moms old drawer of stuff and wearing my grandmas vintage watches and rings. one of my very favorite bracelets is my mom's p.o.w. bracelet. i had no idea what it was when i first saw it- but it drew me in from the start. she told me that during the 60's and 70's, everyone would buy these bracelets in honor for the "prisoners of war" and soldiers missing in action during the vietnam war.  you would wear the bracelet with the persons name on it, in hopes they would return safely. 

whenever i wear my bracelet- which is everyday, people ask me what it is and what it means. so the other day when i was talking to my buddy chris at lunatic fringe- he asked me if the guy was ever found. i didnt know. i really had no idea if he was still alive or not.  so that night i did my research.  i looked up Captian Wayne Irsch and to my surprise, found out a lot about him- including a picture.

i read stories about how this man was 31 years old, from Oklahoma.  he was married and was in the air force, a captian in fact.  on January 9th 1968, he was set off on a combat mission with another one of his fellow pilots and their plane crashed in Laos after being hit my enemy fires. his body was never found.

i know its kind of silly but after i read the story and saw the picture of this mysterious man on my bracelet, i felt some weird connection to him.  instead of just a name, he was a person. a real person with hopes and dreams and likes and dislikes- and he died serving his country and left a family behind. it all became much more real to me.  

i dont know this guy, i dont know his family or anything else- but i like him- and i hope to meet him one day and until then- ill wear my little p.o.w. bracelet to show that i support all those who are fighting for our country.




2 comments:

Adrianne said...

isn't it amazing how people can come alive for you when you read and know more about them. i feel that way reading your blog. each entry makes me love you just a little bit more!

Mushie said...

Thanks Lar for looking up the info on the bracelet. It actually came with a little bio back then...but I had long since forgotten the story.
Always a good reminder that Freedom isn't free...it comes with a huge price!
Love you and the fact that you love all my old stuff!